Alvin Zimmerman is included in The Best Lawyers in America and has been named one of H Magazine’s Best Lawyers in Houston. His broad-based legal experience includes presiding as a municipal court judge of the City of Houston, a state district judge of the 269 (Civil) and 309 (Family) District Courts, and serving as assistant attorney general for the State of Texas and briefing clerk for the Honorable Judge Ingraham, Federal District Judge for the Southern District of Texas. He has extensive experience in civil trials involving complex litigation as well as representation of parties in difficult family law cases.
Mr. Zimmerman is one of the most active mediator and arbitrators in Harris County, Texas and his ADR experience includes business, health law, construction, commercial, tort, employment, intellectual property (including patent, trademark, and copyright), probate, oil and gas and family law cases. He also received from the State Bar of Texas – ADR Section, the Frank Evans Award, as the outstanding ADR Professional in 2016 for his dedicated service to the profession. Within his practice he also serves as a Special Judge for hire, Special Master and Ad Litem.
Mr. Zimmerman was awarded the Frank G. Evans Mediator of the Year Award by the Center for Legal Responsibility at South Texas College of Law. Mr. Zimmerman was recognized as the outstanding adjunct professor by a local law school. He served on the board of a national bank and was counsel to and on the board of a New York Stock Exchange company.
Mr. Zimmerman has been active in many charitable organizations. In May 2000, Mr. Zimmerman received the Anti-Defamation League’s Karen Susman Jurisprudence Award, which is presented annually to the outstanding attorney whose legal career has exemplified outstanding service to the community and the profession. Mr. Zimmerman received the University of Houston Distinguished Alumni Award in April 2009. University of Houston Distinguished Alumni Awards is given to individuals who have distinguished themselves in their field of endeavor and whose accomplishments have brought credit to the university. Just over 100 alumni have received this honor.
- University of Houston, B.S., 1964
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1967 (Editor, Law Review)
- Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified Advanced Mediator – Association of Attorney Mediators (Texas Mediators Coordination Association)
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court – Southern District
Professional and Community Affiliations
- University of Houston Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient
- Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Former President and Active Governor of the International Academy of Mediators
- Former President of the Family Law Section of the Houston Bar Association
- Former Vice President of the Houston Bar Foundation
- Former President of University of Houston Law Foundation and Active Director
- Director of University of Houston Foundation
- Former Director of the Board of Directors for the Houston Symphony Orchestra
- Director, Southwest Region Anti-Defamation League
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America from 2005-2015
- Chair Elect of the State Bar Council for the ADR Section
- Chair Elect of the Council for the Houston Bar Association ADR Section in 2009
- Received Distinguished Alumnus Award for the University of Houston,
- Received the Frank Evans award for “Outstanding Mediator in Texas”
- Selected for inclusion in Texas’ Best Lawyers 2010 Houston Edition
- Selected for inclusion 2003-2015 Texas Super Lawyers
- Selected to Membership in LawDragon